One book, Four Agreements

As part of my 30 Things by Thirty list I decided to read a book that someone else picked out for me.  See, my reading list range is a little stunted.  I typically like books that are considered chick lit, think Sex and the City or Shopaholic.  After being "called out" by my good friend Brook a few years ago, I stretched a little and started reading Autobiographies.  I have really enjoyed the ones I have read but lets be honest, there are only so many people out there that are really interesting enough to have an autobiography, so the list of "must reads" is somewhat limited.  Not wanting to settle back in to my chick lit ways I decided I would really push my boundaries and read something I didn't pick, give up all choice and step outside my box.  Who better to pick this book than Brook herself.  I asked her to do me the favor and she graciously obliged.  She immediately recommended "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz. Brook says it is the one book that she thinks all females should read.  How could I say no to that?


At first I was a little unsure (sorry Brook) but I soldiered on and got the book.  I started reading and despite my hesitations I pushed through.  It was a little difficult at first.  While it's not a self-help book, exactly, it comes across as such in the beginning.  Slowly I started to get in to the book and began to realize it was about how to deal with complicated matters in life that affect you in ways you don't realize.  It takes complex issues and breaks them down into how the appear in our daily lives, helping you figure out how to make small changes that affect the bigger picture.  At first I thought, this has nothing to do with me.  I don't have real stress in my life, I don't really need to change anything.  But I kept reading (I knew Brook would be disappointed if I quit) and at times I felt like the book grabbed me by the ear and said "hello, I'm talking to YOU!".

It's a short book only 140 pages, however I didn't get through it as fast as I thought I would.  Sometimes I had to stop and think or reread. 

In the end, I'm glad I read it.  I think in the long run it will be good for me.  Check it out, hopefully it will speak to you as well.

2 comments:

Donna Fisher said...

I read this book and loved it. One of my favorites is The Power of Now by Eckart Tolle.

Brook said...

Yay! Glad you got through it. You can't ask a therapist for a book you must read without getting a response that encourages you to examine your life. If it wouldn't pain me beyond belief, I would send you some chiclit as a reward :)