October Recipe #1

Alan and I have been traveling like crazy, many times passing each other on our way back and forth.  This past weekend we finally landed in the same place at the same time for 2 whole days!  I was very excited to see him but knew he would be exhausted from his 2 long flights and 1 long layover so I knew we wouldn't be going out Saturday night.  He had also mentioned numerous times over the last 2 weeks how he was missing food with "flavor" I think that was a hint!  So Saturday I buckled down and made him some yummy food to welcome him home.  Alan has a few things that he would call his favorite home cooked meals, so I picked one and went to town. I chose Stuffed Shells and decided to make a homemade sauce to go with them.  Now, I have made homemade sauce before but have never been 100% happy with them, so I tried something new.  This one is definitely a keeper and I encourage you to try it.



1.  Heat Olive Oil over a low to medium heat.
2.  Add 2 cloves of garlic, 2 teaspoons each of basil, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.
3.  Heat until garlic starts to turn clear.
4.  Add ground meat - 1 lb or increase other ingredients per lb of meat. 
5.  Separate meat and mix in spices already in pan
6.  Brown meat
7.  Once meat is done add: 3 large tomatoes (cut or diced), 2 cans tomato paste,  1 cup of water, 1 tablespoon basil (Fresh), 1 teaspoon each Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes (if you want spice!).
8.  Combine thoroughly and bring to a boil.
9.  Turn down to a simmer, simmer for 1 hour.

The consistency of the sauce makes it perfect for anything from Spaghetti  to Lasagne (or even stuffed shells!)

Enjoy!

No comments: