February recipe #2

So the second new recipe for this month was something I have been waiting a while to make - Southwest Black Bean soup.  This was definitely a recipe that Alan wouldn't have appreciated so I had to wait until he was gone and I was home to give it a try.  See I love soup and Alan, well he doesn't.  Also this soup is vegetarian and Alan doesn't really like anything that doesn't have meat, especially soup! 



I found the recipe here and it sounded like the perfect combination of things I love that would give me lots of leftovers!

Ingredients
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Hunt’s® Original Diced Tomatoes, undrained
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1-1/2 cups cooked instant brown rice
6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream

The recipe calls for you to saute some of the ingredients first but I like for the veggies to stay as crisp as possible so I altered the recipe. I threw everything into one pot (except the rice and sour cream) and brought it to a boil.  Then I let it simmer for a good 30-45 minutes. 

Then I made a few more alterations to the recipe.  Instead of brown rice I crunched up some tortilla chips and added them, then I shredded a little Monterrey jack cheese to top it off.  I just thought those two options sounded better than the sour cream and rice. (Plus we eat rice a lot since it's gluten free!)

It was delish and even better is that the leftovers are even better than the first night.  I will definitely make this again!

No comments: