A full week in NYC

A few weeks ago I spent a week in NYC, while Alan spent the week in Minnesota (I definitely got the better end of that situation!).  I love NYC and travel there several times a year for work since we have an office in the Fashion District.  However this trip was a little different, I was in town for Social Media week.   Part of my new job is to launch and oversee the pilot program of the company's Social Media.  The North America subsidiary of the company is testing Social Media in an effort to determine how the rest of the company worldwide will follow.  So, naturally I was eager to see what Social Media week held.



What is Social Media Week?
Social Media Week is a global platform that connects people, content, and conversation around emerging trends in social and mobile media. Delivered primarily through a network of internationally hosted biannual conferences and online through social and mobile media, Social Media Week brings hundreds of thousands of people together every year through learning experiences that aim to advance our understanding of social media’s role in society. A biannual event, this February the conference was held in New York, San Fransisco, Toronto, Rome, Istanbul, Paris, London, Sao Paulo and Hong Kong.

Throughout the 5 days I attended 23 sessions and with each being in a different location, not only did I have brain overload from all the information but I walked a million miles and took a million cabs getting around Manhattan. 

Some of my favorite sessions were:
Pay Attention. Social Media listening done right.

Social Around the World

The New Normal

Building Brand relationships among the clutter

National Brand voices and Hyperlocal audiences

Corporate Social Media, avoiding pitfalls

The information was incredible and I've never taken so many notes in all my life!

There were speakers such as Head of Social Media for PepsiCo., President of Radian6, Marketing Director for IBM, SVP of Integrated Marketing at MTV, Head of Trends and Insights Marketing at Google, Vice President for Public Relations and Communications at LancĂ´me, President and Executive Creative Director at  JCrew, Time Inc Chief Digital Officer, Features/Special Projects Director at Harper’s Bazaar and even Tory Burch - CEO, Tory Burch.  The experience and expertise was thick enough to feel in some sessions.

The bonus to the whole event was the amazing locations I was able to vist when attending these sessions:

Google offices in SOHO




Hearst Tower


JWT Headquarters

Time Inc offices (and their amazing magazine wall!)

and even Sesame Street!
wouldn't you love your name on a Sesame St. sign outside your office?

On top of all that I got to attend an opening night party for New York Fashion Week, sit next to Katherine Heigl at Trump SOHO and literally run into Al Rooker.

It was a full week but I had an amazing time!

Now I just have to put all that knowledge to use...Yike!

No comments: