November new recipe

Thanksgiving was a little different for us this year.  With family going in every opposite direction, we chose to stay home.  Ended up we weren't the only one's with that idea and we were quickly invited to spend Turkey Day with friends here in Atlanta.  Of course we offered to bring pieces of the traditional dinner and that soon turned into "bring whatever you want".   Alan has to have 2 things for Thanksgiving, green bean casserole and homemade mac and chesse.  Well, technically he needs a lot more than that for his dinner to be complete, those are just two very important staples!  So after a little begging on his part, I agreed, then I went on the hunt to find a new Mac and Cheese recipe.  For the past few years I have made one certain recipe of M&C, however I never really thought it was the perfect balance of creamy-cheesiness on the inside and crispy-cheesiness on the top, so I figured this was my chance to find that perfect combination.  I mean, if you're only gonna make one thing for Thanksgiving, it better be good!
Well, let me tell you, it wasn't just good, it was AWESOME!  There were about 2 spoonfuls left in the huge serving dish when dinner was over and everyone was asking for the recipe!  I have to agree, it really was the best M&C I've had, not to pat myself on the back or anything! It really was that good.  Don't believe me?  Try it for yourself, it's super easy! 

Deluxe Macaroni & Extra Sharp Cheese Casserole - recipe by Pam Jones and Kerry Kruegler

Ingredients:
1 8-ounce package macaroni
2 cups cottage cheese
1 8-ounce package sour cream
1 egg, beaten
¾ teaspoon salt
dash pepper and paprika
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded aged EXTRA sharp cheddar cheese.
Topping:
1 -1 ½ cups shredded aged EXTRA sharp cheddar cheese
Paprika

Directions
1 - Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Cook and rinse the macaroni
2 - Combine the cottage cheese, sour cream, egg, salt, pepper, and aged EXTRA sharp shredded cheddar cheese. Mix the cottage cheese mixture with the cooked macaroni. Pour the macaroni in a 2-quart cast iron pan or casserole dish.

3 - Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Leave oven on and remove casserole. Finish off by topping with a layer of aged EXTRA sharp shredded cheddar cheese (8-16 ounces) and sprinkle top of cheese with paprika. Put back in hot oven. Watch and leave in just until cheese melts. Take out, and serve. Yield: 4 to 6 servings

I doubled the recipe and everything worked perfectly!

Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, you deserve it !!

Dad